The printable California CA 540 instructions for 2016 can be found within the California 540 Forms & Instructions, 2016 Personal Income Tax Booklet published by the Franchise Tax Board. This booklet is listed on our California Tax Forms page along with a list of other frequently required income tax schedules, vouchers, tables, and request forms published by the State of California Franchise Tax Board (FTB).
The California 540 2016 Personal Income Tax Booklet contains the basic forms most CA resident income tax payers will need to file. California form 540 instructions are also included for the specific sub-forms and schedules. Below is a list of the forms, schedules, instructions, and tables you will find inside this year's 2016 California 540 booklet published by the FTB.
- Form 540 - California Resident Income Tax Return
- Instructions for Form 540
- Schedule CA 540 - California Adjustments
- Instructions for Schedule CA 540
- Schedule D 540 - California Capital Gain or Loss Adjustment
- Instructions for Schedule D 540
- FTB 3885A - Depreciation and Amortization Adjustments
- FTB 3519 - Payment for Automatic Extension for Individuals
- Form 540-ES - Estimated Tax for Individuals
- Instructions for Form 540-ES
- FTB 3506 - Child and Dependent Care Expenses Credit
- Instructions for Form FTB 3506
- FTB 3514 - California Earned Income Tax Credit
- Instructions for Form FTB 3514
- FTB 3532 - Head of Household Filing Status Schedule
- Instructions for Form FTB 3532
- 2016 California Tax Table
- 2016 California Tax Rate Schedules
You will need to complete your federal tax forms (Form 1040, Form 1040A, or Form 1040EZ) before you can prepare your California Form 540 or California Form 540 2EZ. You will need to attach all federal forms W-2 and 1099, and a copy of your federal income tax return unless it is a very simple return. See the California form 540 instructions section titled Filing Your Tax Return for more information on how to assemble and mail in your completed CA 540 for 2016.
Last updated: March 28, 2017