The 2015 Form 1040EZ printable PDF has not yet been released by the IRS. The related IRS Form 1040A, Form 1040, and many of the supporting schedules, worksheets, and instruction booklets have also not been released. That should come of no surprise to income tax professionals, however, taxpayers visiting our website early in January of 2016 hoping to print out their income tax forms might be surprised.
We can look at the last modified date of last year's Form 1040EZ, Form 1040A, and Form 1040 PDF and come up with an estimated release date. We can estimate that IRS Form 1040EZ will be available before the end of December, for example. The longer income tax forms 1040 and 1040A might not be available until the beginning of January. Notice also that the income tax instruction booklets are released two to seven days after the form is made available. Below are last year's last modified dates for some of the most widely used IRS income tax forms.
When IRS 1040 Forms Became Available Last Year
- Form 1040EZ - December 16, 2014
- Form 1040 - December 30, 2014
- Form 1040A - December 30, 2014
- Form 1040NR - January 7, 2015
- Form 1040SS - January 9, 2015
- Form 1040PR - March 6, 2015
When IRS 1040 Instructions Became Available Last Year
- Form 1040EZ - December 18, 2014
- Form 1040 - January 6, 2015
- Form 1040A - January 6, 2015
- Form 1040NR - January 13, 2015
- Form 1040SS - January 13, 2015
- Form 1040PR - March 10, 2015
Drafts of most IRS income tax forms are available through out the calendar year. Keep in mind, however, that these draft income tax forms are not usable, and, the IRS will not tell you what if anything has changed. In other words, it's better not to waste your time using the draft income tax forms. You will have to go through the process all over again once the real income tax forms are published.